Intro to summer skiing in Europe
Busy planning next summer! Dan plans to SkiThe12, so I'm researching summer ski resorts in Europe. Leaning towards Cervinia, Italy. Here's what I've learned so far...
The highest and largest summer ski area in Europe is Zermatt-Cervinia, otherwise known as Klein Matterhorn.
Cervinia, Italy has a bustling aprés-ski atmosphere when the Italians come in from Turin and Milan on the weekends. Valtournenche, a neighboring village, is quieter. Both have lift access and links to Zermatt (greatly increasing km of piste). For accommodation information in Cervinia or Valtournenche go here. Travel times to Cervinia:
- 1.5 hours by car from Turin, Italy
- 2.0 hours by car from Milan, Italy
- 2.5 hours by car from Geneva, Switzerland
Zermatt, Switzerland is a village at the foot of the Matterhorn. They guarantee 21 km of snowy slopes and claim to be very family friendly. The Matterhorn Museum is said to be great. For accommodation information in Zermatt go here. Travel times to Zermatt:
- 1.5 hours by car from Sion, Switzerland
- 3 hours by car from Geneva, Switzerland
- 3.5 hours by car from Milan, Italy
* Zermatt is car-free; you must park in Tasche and take a shuttle train into the Matterhorn village center.