We're back from France! This year we spent six weeks in a small village on the east side of Lake Annecy. And even though it rained way too much, we still managed to catch some sun and enjoy life on the water. There is so much to do in the area - we think of this region as summer camp for the whole family! Here are some of our favorite activities and places.
The city of Annecy is in the Haute-Savoie region of France. Fly into Geneva and drive 35 minutes south. Other beautiful places in the region: Lyon (1 hour 45 mins), Chamonix and the Mount Blanc Tunnel (1 hour 10 mins) and Cervinia, Italy (3 hours).
- Favorite paid beach: Moon Plage. (Soft sand, beds with umbrellas and table service. Kids will love the "epic" water slide.
- Favorite free beach: La Brune in Veyrier-du-lac
- Water skiing and wave boarding: Jean-Louis Fountaine in Talloires
- Boat rentals are everywhere and easy to find (paddle boats, SUPs, kayaks, row boats, sail boats)
- Bike Rentals: Roul' Ma Poule (2 Annecy locations)
- Roller Blade Rentals: many locations, but also at Roul' Ma Poule
- Tennis: Tennis Club Annecy-le-Vieux (numerous outdoor courts, 3 indoor courts, private instructors available)
In the air
- Ropes Course and Zip Line: Aravis Adventure Park, Thones
- Paragliding: Les Passagers du Vent, Talloires
Favorite summer camps
- Centre Equestre de Thones (Horse Camp)
- Centre Artys (Dance Camp)
- Tennis Club Annecy-le-Vieux (Tennis Camp)
- Annecy Tennis (Mini-Tennis Camp)
- Sapaudia- Annecy (la vieille ville)- Order the La Salade Méditerranéenne and the Café Gourmand.
- Le Pichet - Annecy (la vieille ville) - Order the Tartiflette and Salad Verte.
- Café des Ducs - Annecy (la vieille ville) - For breakfast: Croissant, espresso, fresh orange juice. Perfect.
- Pauvert Traiteur - Annecy (la vieille ville) - Absolutely everything you need for the perfect picnic.
- Moko Plage - Annecy-le-Vieux - Perfect scallops and a good kids menu (fish with tagliatelle).
- La Trinquette - Annecy-le-Vieux - Good pizza and reasonably priced daily specials. Fun scene; busy with locals during lunch and on weekends.
- Cafe de la Place - Menthon St. Bernard - Tremendous value and lively local scene, especially at lunch.
- Centre Commercial Courier - Indoor mall with FNAC, Zara, H&M, etc.
- Espace Foot - Soccer store
- Eclectik - She has a terrible facebook page and no website - but trust me, this is a great little store. My absolute favorite vintage shop in Annecy. I always find something here!
- Last year we stayed in this small apartment in the Old Town. It's right smack dab in the middle of all the action - you can walk to restaurants, shops, markets, and the lake. We loved the location and the apartment was clean and well-maintained. But we could've used an extra room and some more natural light.
- This year we rented a family home in the village of Veyrier-du-Lac. The view from the terrace is absolutely stunning and the village is nice and not as touristy as others in the area. If there is a downside to this location (and I'm reaching here), it's that we needed to use our car a bit more. But overall, I loved this location and would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Want to know more about Annecy? Contact me!
You might also enjoy...