In 1682, my 10th great grandfather, Thomas Hollingsworth, immigrated to America from Armagh County, Ireland. He survived an arduous two-month journey across the ocean, created a new life for himself in the new world, married and out-lived two wives -- only to be killed by a wild buffalo at the age of 66. (!)
Thomas and his family settled in what is now Wilmington Delaware (then Pennsylvania). His father, Valentine Hollingsworth, was a great leader in the Quaker community, a justice of the peace and one of the signers of William Penn's Great Charter.
Sources and more information:
- Valentine Hollingsworth had a son named Thomas.
- Thomas Hollingsworth had a son named Jacob.
- Jacob Hollingsworth had a son named Elias.
- Elias Hollingsworth had a son named Benjamin.
- Benjamin Hollingsworth had a son name Aquilla.
- Aquilla Hollingsworth had a some named Benjamin.
- Benjamin Hollingsworth had a daughter named Tamer Ann.
- Tamer Ann married Timothy Holloway and had a daughter named Nancy Holloway.
- Nancy Holloway married Stephen Speed and had a daughter named Emaline Speed.
- Emaline Speed married Otis Nelson and had a daughter named Hazel Nelson.