How to Buy French Train Tickets Online
It's pretty straight-forward, but follow these steps to secure e-tickets and avoid unnecessary fees.
- Go to http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers
- When you’ve chosen the routes you want, you will be asked to select a country from the drop down menu. Select FRANCE. (If you select USA, you will not be able to purchase an e-ticket and will consequently pay admin and postage fees.)
- Select E-TICKET PURCHASE.
- Buy online using your credit card.
- Print out your ticket.
There are 4 types of train services in France (all are available at SNCF):
- IDTGV (discounted TGV with limited routes. You can choose between Quiet Cars and Social Cars.)
- OUIGO (discounted TGV with limited routes)
- Intercités (intercity)
p.s. The picture above is of my girls on a Czech train from Prague to Prerov.