Artsy Cool Antwerp
Next week, my girls leave for a 6-day school trip to Belgium - without me! They are so excited. Here’s what they will be studying:
- The origins of the European Union.
- The history of European fashion at the Antwerp Fashion Museum.
- The life and times of Peter Paul Rubens, the Flemish Baroque painter.
- The relevance of industry and commerce at the Port of Antwerp and the European Parliament Visitors Centre in Brussels.
Wow, right? They’ve been preparing for this trip for weeks, so they already know more about Belgium than I ever will. If I were allowed to go with them (I'm not), here’s what I’d do:
1. Explore artsy, cool Antwerp - a city of canals, known for its fashion schools, funky restaurants and artsy festivals.
2. Eat chocolate and drink beer. (Actually, I don't even like beer. I'd probably drink wine.)
3. Try to think of a reason to visit Brussels. It’s the capital of the EU, but I’m hard pressed to find much to do there apart from wander around the historic streets and sit in cafes. And eat brussels sprouts. Not that there’s anything wrong with that! But I’d probably spend most of my time in Antwerp.
Have you ever been to Belgium? Should I add this to my list?